No World Cup fears for injured Bastian Schweinsteiger
Berlin: Bayern Munich`s Germany star Bastian Schweinsteiger has said he has no fear of missing the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, despite his on-going ankle problems.
"I have not had a moment`s concern about missing the World Cup," Schweinsteiger told SID, an AFP subsidiary.
"It`s annoying that I can`t play, but I have to take care of my body. It`s not the first time...(that I`ve been injured).
"Light jogging is now possible, but no ball work.
"It`ll take a while yet, but I am working harder in training than when I am fit."
The 29-year-old has been out since mid-November after a second operation on his right ankle, having also gone under the knife in August.
Midfielder Schweinsteiger has made 100 appearances for his country and should have a key role to play for Germany when they take on Portugal, Ghana and the USA in Group G in Brazil next year.
Schweinsteiger will sit out Bayern`s Club World Cup campaign, which starts on Tuesday when they face Asian champions Guangzhou Evergrande in the semi-final in Morocco, and is not expected to return until the European champions` winter training camp starts on January 5.
"I still feel like I am on holiday," joked Schweinsteiger, whose Bayern side are seven points clear at the top of the Bundesliga.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings