Norwich apologise over friendly rout report
English second-tier side Norwich City issued an apology on Friday after claiming to have won a pre-season friendly 13-0 against an Italian team that they had not actually played.
After a match against Italian third-division team Novara was cancelled, Norwich thought they had set up a game against Serie D outfit Saint-Christophe Vallee d`Aoste.
However, when a match report appeared on the Norwich website, the Italian club complained that they had not been involved, and that the real opponents had been a select XI of local non-professional players.
"In our original match report for this warm-up fixture, acting in good faith on the basis of information given to the club, we incorrectly reported that we had played against local club side SC Vallee d`Aoste," Norwich said in a statement on their website.
"In fact the game was against an Aosta regional select side and we are happy to put the record straight and apologise to SC Vallee d`Aoste and their fans for the misunderstanding."
Norwich were relegated from the Premier League last season after a three-year spell in the top flight and will start the 2014-15 campaign in the Championship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Samsung Electronics says Galaxy Note 7 demand beats supply
- Tesla unveils 100 kWh battery for Model S, Model X cars
- Oh no! After Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap leaves Pullela Gopichand's academy in Hyderabad
- Samsung, Tencent surge in race to become Asia's most valuable firm
- Kangana Ranaut turns GORGEOUS showstopper for Tarun Tahiliani at Lakme Fashion Week—Pics inside!