Norwich City 0-1 Chelsea: Mata strike enough for buoyant Blues
London: In a match where chances were rare commodities, Rafa Benitez`s side were worth all three points and closed the gap on on second-placed Manchester City against the poor Canaries
Chelsea maintained their recent run of good form thanks to a fairly comfortable 1-0 win at Norwich City on Boxing Day, gaining ground on Manchester City in the process.
The hosts started the game well, enjoying lots of possession, but their inability to carve open chances saw them pay as Juan Mata gave Rafa Benitez’s side the lead just before half-time.
Chelsea’s control continued after the break, forcing Norwich to play on the counterattack but, with neither side creating too many opportunities, a host of goals never looked likely.
Despite the rather hectic Christmas period, both sides made just two changes.
For Norwich, Steven Whittaker and Steve Morison dropped out for Russell Martin and Grant Holt while, on the back of their 8-0 hammering of Aston Villa at the weekend, John Obi Mikel and Oscar replaced Frank Lampard and Eden Hazard for Chelsea.
The first half was a very tightly contested affair, but Norwich certainly began the more promising, stringing together a good number of passes in the Chelsea half, but the visitors’ defence remained solid.
Norwich looked to have been played in when Chelsea poorly cleared a Javier Garrido cross, but Alex Tettey’s half-volley tumbled out for a throw in.
Around the half-hour mark, Chelsea began to take control as Mata started to see more of the ball but they were still struggling to create chances with Norwich defending well.
However, in the 38th minute, Oscar did well to retain possession in the centre before finding Mata on the edge of the box, and the Spaniard smashed an effort into the far side of the net to open the scoring.
Bradley Johnson flashed a near-post header just over a few minutes later, but Chelsea went into half-time with a deserved 1-0 lead.
The second half started were the opening 45 minutes left off as Chelsea controlled possession and looked comfortable, knocking the ball around in a confident manner, while Norwich attempted to spring counterattacks.
Hoolahan seemed Norwich’s best bet of getting back into the game, but often the only pass on was forward to Grant Holt, but either the Chelsea defence would halt the striker, or he strayed offside.
The visitors continued to control the match, but for all their possession they could not get past the Norwich defence, much like their hosts in the first period.
Benitez’s decision to introduce Lampard and Hazard helped create a bit more dynamism in the final third and Mata could have got his second as he headed just wide from an Azpilicueta cross.
But, come the full-time whistle, Chris Hughton`s charges could not assert themselves enough on the dominating Chelsea to carve out a valuable equalier, and slump to their second defeat on the trot after going 10 games unbeaten.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'