Nothing to fear about FBI probe, says Jack Warner
Port of Spain: Former FIFA Vice president Jack Warner says he has nothing to fear following international media reports that he is the subject of a probe by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the United States.
Warner, Minister of National Security in the Kamla Persad–B issessar administration in Trinidad and Tobago also said that he will not be ‘crucified’ by persons calling for him to be dismissed.
CMC on Sunday reported that the FBI has been examining more than USD 500,000 in payments made by the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) over the past 20 years to an offshore company headed by top U.S. soccer official Chuck Blazer.
"I do not think you know of any other politician who for the last three years has been maligned and who has been crucified as I have been," said Warner, who held the offices of vice president of FIFA and president of CONCACAF until his suspension and eventual resignation from these roles in 2011.
"The one objective in mind is to get rid of Jack Warner, because there are those who believe that if you get rid of Jack Warner then you get rid of a major chunk or chink in the government`s armour."
A report said that an FBI probe into alleged corruption in international football has recently intensified after investigators persuaded a key party to be a cooperating witness.
The report said that Warner has not been charged with any wrongdoing, but quoted sources as saying that Daryan Warner, son of the former football executive, is assisting the probe.
"At the end of the day, I don`t have to respond to them," Warner told reporters in Trinidad.
"Yesterday was the crucifixion. Today is not, and I will continue and I will do what I have to do. I have nothing to be afraid of and I sleep very soundly at night."
The main opposition People`s National Movement (PNM) in the southern Caribbean nation has intensified calls for Warner`s dismissal, accusing Prime Minister Persad-Bissessar of shielding her embattled minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read