Now is the time to end Spain`s era, says ex-Brazil coach Parreira
Brasilia: Former Brazil coach Carlos Alberto Parreira has backed the current side to end Spain`s era of dominance by winning Sunday`s Confederations Cup final.
The Selecao reached the showpiece event with a 2-1 win over Uruguay in the semi-finals, while Spain edged out Italy on penalties after a 0-0 draw on Thursday.
And Parreira, who coached Brazil to World Cup glory in 1994, believes Luiz Felipe Scolari`s side can take heart from Italy`s performance against the reigning world and European champions and bring their remarkable run of success to an end.
“It is now the time to end the era of Spain,” Parreira, now technical director of the Selecao, told reporters in Brazil.
“I have been talking with Scolari and the coaching staff and now is not the time to change tactics.
“We have to maintain the line we have taken so far. Brazil are playing at home and have to keep the initiative in the game.
“This is the game that everyone hoped for, but the fans would not have chosen this opponent for the final.
“But, since it is Spain, we welcome them. Brazil are in an excellent moment, they have confidence, it is easy to see.
“Scolari has done a wonderful job this past month. We have played against five world champions and not lost a game. We look ahead knowing that we will play very well.
“We know that Italy had a wonderful first half against Spain [on Thursday], showing that with will, determination and intelligence, it is possible to beat Spain.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly