Nuremberg stun Mainz 2-1 in Bundesliga
Berlin: Nuremberg stunned Mainz 2-1 thanks to Per Nilsson`s brace while Hannover and Stuttgart shared points to close the 28th round of Bundesliga football.
Nuremberg extended their unbeaten run Sunday to nine matches to break Mainz spell of eight undefeated games in row.
The visitors from Mainz dictated the pace on the pitch against defensively minded hosts at the first half. Nuremberg`s well-organised defence presented a problem for Mainz that appeared idealess to overcome the host`s bulwark.
Nonetheless, Mainz got hold of a golden chance to break the deadlock when Nuremberg`s Javier Pinola was penalised for a foul play inside the box in the 26th minute. Yet, Mainz`s Adam Szalai squandered the penalty when he pulled wide.
Things changed in the second half as Nuremberg took over with a different attitude to open the scoring in the 54th minute to shock the visitors. Kiyotake Hiroshi curled a free kick into the box to find Per Nilsson, who headed home into the bottom left corner.
It was a short-lived joy by the hosts as Mainz responded six minutes later through Nicolai Mueller who beat onrushing Nuremberg keeper Raphael Schafer with a lob.
The hosts remained unimpressed and took the lead again in the 69th minute when Nilsson wrapped up his brace following a flicked on corner.
The victory moved Nuremberg from 11th to 12th position with 38 points whereas Mainz slumped from sixth to eighth position with 39 points.
Elsewhere, Hannover and Stuttgart staged a goalless draw to share points. Hannover climbed to ninth position with 39 points whilst Stuttgart slipped to 13th position with 33 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America