Nuremberg stun Mainz 2-1 in Bundesliga
Berlin: Nuremberg stunned Mainz 2-1 thanks to Per Nilsson`s brace while Hannover and Stuttgart shared points to close the 28th round of Bundesliga football.
Nuremberg extended their unbeaten run Sunday to nine matches to break Mainz spell of eight undefeated games in row.
The visitors from Mainz dictated the pace on the pitch against defensively minded hosts at the first half. Nuremberg`s well-organised defence presented a problem for Mainz that appeared idealess to overcome the host`s bulwark.
Nonetheless, Mainz got hold of a golden chance to break the deadlock when Nuremberg`s Javier Pinola was penalised for a foul play inside the box in the 26th minute. Yet, Mainz`s Adam Szalai squandered the penalty when he pulled wide.
Things changed in the second half as Nuremberg took over with a different attitude to open the scoring in the 54th minute to shock the visitors. Kiyotake Hiroshi curled a free kick into the box to find Per Nilsson, who headed home into the bottom left corner.
It was a short-lived joy by the hosts as Mainz responded six minutes later through Nicolai Mueller who beat onrushing Nuremberg keeper Raphael Schafer with a lob.
The hosts remained unimpressed and took the lead again in the 69th minute when Nilsson wrapped up his brace following a flicked on corner.
The victory moved Nuremberg from 11th to 12th position with 38 points whereas Mainz slumped from sixth to eighth position with 39 points.
Elsewhere, Hannover and Stuttgart staged a goalless draw to share points. Hannover climbed to ninth position with 39 points whilst Stuttgart slipped to 13th position with 33 points.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan