Odafe hatrick ends Sporting`s unbeaten run
Mapusa: Odafe Okolie scored a hatrick as Mohun Bagan thrashed Sporting Clube de Goa 5-1 to end their unbeaten run, in the 23rd round of the I-League played at the Duler Stadium on Sunday.
After a barren first half, Bagan, who enjoyed numerical advantage in the second half after Sporting`s striker Dawson Fernandes was sent off for his second bookable offence, scored through Odafe (52nd, 82nd, 90th) and Tolgay Ozbey (73rd, 80th) while Kalu Ogba pulled one back for Sporting in the 76th minute.
The win takes Bagan`s tally to 21 points from 19 matches while Sporting remained on 30 from 23 games.
Sporting, who were determined to keep their seven-match winning streak intact, started well. They dictated terms as far as possession was concerned and the defence also did well to keep dangerman Odafe in check.
They came close to scoring in the 18th minute when Pratemesh Shirodkar`s left-footer went just above the bar after Stephene`s initial shot from inside the visitors` box was blocked by the keeper.
However, Sporting received a setback when their striker Fernandes was sent off by referee A Shekar in the 39th minute after the striker handled the ball. That changed the course of the match as Bagan scored five times in the second half.
The visitors forged ahead in the 52nd minute through Odafe`s spot-kick.
Syed Nabi`s cross was handled by defender Mathew Gonsalves inside the box and the resultant penalty was converted by Odafe.
Bagan increased the lead in the 73th minute when Tolgay slotted the ball past Keeper Bruno off a pass from Odafe.
The home team then came up with a counter move and was awarded a penalty after Nirmal Chhetri brought down Jovel Martin inside the box. Kalu Ogba, who took the spot kick, converted it.
Bagan then struck twice in a span of two minutes to end Sporting`s challenge.
Tolgay, who along with Odafe kept the rival defence under pressure, picked a pass and sneaked into the box and after taking his position, beat the rival keeper to find the net in the 80th minute.
Two minutes later, Odafe scored his second goal after he was fed by Quinto Jacobs. With few minutes remaining, Odafe scored his third to end the demolition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued