Officials did not think about the consequences: Bhutia
New Delhi: Former India skipper Bhaichung Bhutia on Saturday criticised Mohun Bagan after the AIFF banned the club for two I-League seasons for violation of rules, saying the "officials did not think about the consequences" before abandoning its derby against East Bengal on December 9.
"The officials took the decision without thinking of the consequences," Bhutia said.
The Iconic club was on Saturday handed a two-year ban from the I-League for pulling out of its violence-marred derby match against the bitter rivals.
Expressing concern over the fate of the players, Bhutia, however, said that the sport will have to go on.
"I feel sorry for the fans and the players. (But) football has to go on. Even if Sachin (Tendulkar) doesn`t play, cricket goes on," the Sikkimese snipper, one of Indian football`s most charismatic players, said.
"I am sure Bagan will appeal. But rules have been laid down clearly and it`s the same for everyone," he added.
The decision was taken by the I-League Core Committee, which also declared all of the club`s matches in the "I-League Competition 2012-2013 cancelled and considered null and void".
The decision was based on the one-man committee, headed by Justice A K Ganguly`s report.
The Kolkata giants had refused to take the field in the second half of their match against East Bengal citing `security fears` after their key player, Syed Rahim Nabi, was hit on the face by a stone hurled from the stands.
Incidentally, Bhutia was himself suspended by the club for being irregular in practice sessions and skipping an exhibition match in 2009.
The club had then also claimed that Bhutia`s participation in a dance reality show Jhalak dikhla ja did no good to the its reputation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM