ONGC end home matches with a draw against Mumbai FC
New Delhi: An injury-time goal by Yusif Yakubu helped Mumbai FC earn a draw against ONGC at the Ambedkar Stadium here on Saturday.
Yusa Katsumi had earlier converted from the spot to put ONGC in the lead in the 18th minute. The match marked the end of ONGC`s home matches.
Courtesy today`s result, both teams moved to 31 points from 25 matches.
ONGC`s first chance came as early as the fifth minute. Kailash Patil`s deft turn caught rival defender Kamaljeet Kumar on the wrong foot and the former was brought down. But off the resultant free-kick, Yusa Katsumi`s try sailed inches over the bar.
A couple of minutes later, Yusa was brought down by rival defender Peter Costa and this time David Lalrinmuana`s free-kick was way off the mark.
Mumbai FC came back strongly and forced a goal-line clearance in the 12th minute - Justin Stephen`s header off a Nicolas Rodrigues corner was cleared off the line by Sachin Gawas.
ONGC surged ahead in the 18th minute. A David cross from the right was handled inside the box by Kamaljeet and Yusa gleefully converted from the spot to make it 1-0.
Mumbai FC`s best chance in the first-half came in the 31st minute. Peter Costa set up Evans Quao inside the box, but his prompt shot was palmed away by ONGC goalkeeper Rehenesh.
Yusa, who till then, was creating problems for the Mumbai FC defenders, limped off in the 35th minute and was substituted by Naresh Aula. ONGC, thereafter, looked a bit wayward.
Changing over, Mumbai FC stayed the more dominant force. They did break into the rival box a number of times but the ONGC defenders managed to keep them in bay.
Their easiest chance came in the 58th minute when John Coutinho, all in control, failed to tap it over an onrushing Rehenesh from the top of the box. Much to the frustration of the Mumbai FC bench, the ball sailed over.
Three minutes later, Yasif Yakubu failed to direct his free-header into the net off a Nicolas centre down the left.
ONGC who depended on counter-attacks, also had their chances. In the 65th minute, former India International Jatin Bisht`s header off a David corner bounced off the post.
ONGC, who had been pressing hard, just could not convert the chances which came their way. Substitute Kuttymani`s miss in the 88th minute summed up the day for them. With all the time in the world, Kuttymani`s header off a Peter Costa cross went over.
But the drama was in store. The lanky Abhishek Yadav set up Yakubu in the clear and the veteran striker banged it into the right of Rehenesh in the 94th minute. The match ended 1-1.
The last time the two teams had met, Mumbai FC had scraped past ONGC by a solitary goal at the Balewadi Sports Complex in Pune.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo