‘Optimistic’ Rooney says Three Lions squad ‘good enough’ to reach Euro final
London : Manchester United star striker Wayne Rooney has said the current England squad is good enough to reach the final of Euro 2012.
Rooney has been suspended for the first two games against France and Sweden after his sending off in the final qualification tie away to Montenegro, but remains optimistic about his team’s performance in the European Championship.
“I don’t see why we can’t win it. We’ve certainly got the players and the quality. The new manager coming in has lifted everybody. We expect big things of ourselves, to come out here and do well. As long as we expect it of ourselves, we know we’re good enough to get to the semi-finals or the final, so that’s the aim,” Rooney said.
He admitted his suspension was the “price he was having to pay for making that mistake” in Podgorica but added that he would prepare and train as “normal” for the first two group matches.
He hoped to repay the faith that Hodgson had shown in him, admitting that he was “happy the expectations are more realistic”.
“That’s certainly a good thing. Football players are under enormous pressure. One of the major conundrums for a coach of a top team to solve is when you might have the quality of player but have to make certain they have the mental strength or character to deal with all that’s asked of them,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked