Osasuna relegated amidst barrier collapse chaos
Pamplona: Osasuna and Valladolid were relegated to the Spanish second division on Sunday, but the final round of La Liga matches was overshadowed by the collapse of a barrier which injured 25 fans at Osasuna`s El Sadar stadium in Pamplona.
Five people were taken to hospital and a further 20 suffered minor injuries after the barrier gave way under the pressure of fans surging forward after Oriol Riera had given Osasuna the lead against already-relegated Real Betis.
The match was suspended for 35 minutes whilst the area was secured and the second-half in three other matches affecting the fight against relegation were also delayed so that all four finished at the same time.
Once play got back underway Osasuna went onto win 2-1, but it wasn`t enough to extend their 14-year stay in the Primera Division as Granada`s 1-0 victory at Valladolid thanks to Stefan Mitrovic`s own goal condemned both sides to the drop.
Getafe ensured their safety as two goals from Ciprian Marica handed them victory at Rayo Vallecano, whilst a point was enough for Almeria as they drew 0-0 at home to Athletic Bilbao.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Roger Federer cleans court by removing bottles, towels left by other players