Out of favour Romero is Argentina's No 1 World Cup keeper
Buenos Aires: Sergio Romero will be Argentina`s first-choice goalkeeper at the World Cup in Brazil in June despite spending most of his time at Monaco on the bench, national coach Alejandro Sabella said on Thursday.
The former winners are likely to have one of the strongest attacks at the finals but their defence has come under scrutiny with Romero being criticised for not always commanding his penalty area.
"Romero had a good match and I consider him an excellent goalkeeper who unfortunately is not getting continuity at his club," said Sabella of the keeper`s performance in last week`s 0-0 draw with Romania in a friendly in Bucharest.
"Apart from the odd injury he has always been in my team ... the position (at the World Cup) is his," the coach told the Radio La Red Argentine station.
Sabella said he had decided on around 90 percent of his 23-man World Cup squad.
Argentina have been drawn in Group F with Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- 7th Pay Commission: Govt employees not to get arrears this financial year?
- Reasons why parents must educate their child about sex
- Sensex adds to gains, up 149 points on positive global leads
- SC refers LGBT celebs' plea challenging Section 377 to CJI
- Why do we shout in anger? Watch video to know the real reason