Out of favour Romero is Argentina's No 1 World Cup keeper
Buenos Aires: Sergio Romero will be Argentina`s first-choice goalkeeper at the World Cup in Brazil in June despite spending most of his time at Monaco on the bench, national coach Alejandro Sabella said on Thursday.
The former winners are likely to have one of the strongest attacks at the finals but their defence has come under scrutiny with Romero being criticised for not always commanding his penalty area.
"Romero had a good match and I consider him an excellent goalkeeper who unfortunately is not getting continuity at his club," said Sabella of the keeper`s performance in last week`s 0-0 draw with Romania in a friendly in Bucharest.
"Apart from the odd injury he has always been in my team ... the position (at the World Cup) is his," the coach told the Radio La Red Argentine station.
Sabella said he had decided on around 90 percent of his 23-man World Cup squad.
Argentina have been drawn in Group F with Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?