Out of favour Romero is Argentina's No 1 World Cup keeper
Buenos Aires: Sergio Romero will be Argentina`s first-choice goalkeeper at the World Cup in Brazil in June despite spending most of his time at Monaco on the bench, national coach Alejandro Sabella said on Thursday.
The former winners are likely to have one of the strongest attacks at the finals but their defence has come under scrutiny with Romero being criticised for not always commanding his penalty area.
"Romero had a good match and I consider him an excellent goalkeeper who unfortunately is not getting continuity at his club," said Sabella of the keeper`s performance in last week`s 0-0 draw with Romania in a friendly in Bucharest.
"Apart from the odd injury he has always been in my team ... the position (at the World Cup) is his," the coach told the Radio La Red Argentine station.
Sabella said he had decided on around 90 percent of his 23-man World Cup squad.
Argentina have been drawn in Group F with Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof