Owen is ready to overhaul Bobby Charlton`s goal haul: Giggs
London: Michael Owen has been backed to become England`s all-time top goal scorer.
Owen stands nine goals behind Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton but has been out of national boss Fabio Capello`s plans for 17 months.
Man U veteran Ryan Giggs, however, is convinced that Owen`s move to Old Trafford will revive his fortunes with the Three Lions and lead to him breaking that long-standing record.
"Coming here has given him a new lease of life, especially as we are a team who make a lot of chances. He`ll be confident of putting them away. I`m sure if he is playing and scoring for United then the rest will come. Sir Bobby`s record has proved a difficult one for anyone to overhaul," a daily quoted Giggs, as saying.
"But looking at Michael`s ratio of goals and games for England you`d have to say if he plays another 15 internationals he`ll probably overtake it," he added.
Owen, 29, has 40 goals in 89 caps but last scored for his country on September 12, 2007 when he hit a brace in the 3-0 win over Russia. He stands behind Jimmy Greaves who is on 44, Gary Lineker on 48 and then Charlton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation