Owen is ready to overhaul Bobby Charlton`s goal haul: Giggs
London: Michael Owen has been backed to become England`s all-time top goal scorer.
Owen stands nine goals behind Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton but has been out of national boss Fabio Capello`s plans for 17 months.
Man U veteran Ryan Giggs, however, is convinced that Owen`s move to Old Trafford will revive his fortunes with the Three Lions and lead to him breaking that long-standing record.
"Coming here has given him a new lease of life, especially as we are a team who make a lot of chances. He`ll be confident of putting them away. I`m sure if he is playing and scoring for United then the rest will come. Sir Bobby`s record has proved a difficult one for anyone to overhaul," a daily quoted Giggs, as saying.
"But looking at Michael`s ratio of goals and games for England you`d have to say if he plays another 15 internationals he`ll probably overtake it," he added.
Owen, 29, has 40 goals in 89 caps but last scored for his country on September 12, 2007 when he hit a brace in the 3-0 win over Russia. He stands behind Jimmy Greaves who is on 44, Gary Lineker on 48 and then Charlton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- These 5 automakers are looking for a turnaround in India –Know
- Maruti Suzuki Swift ‘Deca’ teased
- Five effective natural home remedies for treating chikungunya!
- On mistreating women's hockey players: Indian Railways slams report, says players were not made to sit on floor
- Sushma Swaraj, John Kerry to co-chair India-US dialogue