Owen is ready to overhaul Bobby Charlton`s goal haul: Giggs
London: Michael Owen has been backed to become England`s all-time top goal scorer.
Owen stands nine goals behind Manchester United legend Sir Bobby Charlton but has been out of national boss Fabio Capello`s plans for 17 months.
Man U veteran Ryan Giggs, however, is convinced that Owen`s move to Old Trafford will revive his fortunes with the Three Lions and lead to him breaking that long-standing record.
"Coming here has given him a new lease of life, especially as we are a team who make a lot of chances. He`ll be confident of putting them away. I`m sure if he is playing and scoring for United then the rest will come. Sir Bobby`s record has proved a difficult one for anyone to overhaul," a daily quoted Giggs, as saying.
"But looking at Michael`s ratio of goals and games for England you`d have to say if he plays another 15 internationals he`ll probably overtake it," he added.
Owen, 29, has 40 goals in 89 caps but last scored for his country on September 12, 2007 when he hit a brace in the 3-0 win over Russia. He stands behind Jimmy Greaves who is on 44, Gary Lineker on 48 and then Charlton.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- ‘Kabali’ mania grips nation: Here’s why Rajinikanth is the one and only Thalaiva
- 1st Test, Day 1: Virat Kohli's brilliant ton puts India on top against West Indies
- Donald Trump accepts Republican nomination, accuses Hillary Clinton of legacy of "death, destruction, terrorism”
- Former Portugal prime minister Guterres front runner to be next UN chief
- Asian markets sink as stimulus hopes rolled back