Oz soccer coach Holger Osieck sacked after `embarrassing` 6-0 loss to France
Sydney: The Australian national soccer team coach Holger Osieck has been sacked following the team`s embarrassing 6-0 loss to France in an international friendly.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Aurelio Vidmar will take charge of the Socceroos for their friendly against Canada on Tuesday following the sacking of the national team boss in the wake of he the 6-0 humiliation in Paris.
The public response to the result bordered between disbelief to outright anger, with speculation already turning to who should replace the German eight months out from the World Cup, the report said.
Calls for fans` favourite Guus Hiddink, who led the Socceroos to the 2006 World Cup, to replace Osieck were again heard across the football landscape, but there were equally strong calls for representations to be made to three A-League coaches: Melbourne Victory`s Ange Postecoglou, Western Sydney`s Tony Popovic and Central Coast`s Graham Arnold, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video