Oz soccer coach Holger Osieck sacked after `embarrassing` 6-0 loss to France
Sydney: The Australian national soccer team coach Holger Osieck has been sacked following the team`s embarrassing 6-0 loss to France in an international friendly.
According to the Sydney Morning Herald, Aurelio Vidmar will take charge of the Socceroos for their friendly against Canada on Tuesday following the sacking of the national team boss in the wake of he the 6-0 humiliation in Paris.
The public response to the result bordered between disbelief to outright anger, with speculation already turning to who should replace the German eight months out from the World Cup, the report said.
Calls for fans` favourite Guus Hiddink, who led the Socceroos to the 2006 World Cup, to replace Osieck were again heard across the football landscape, but there were equally strong calls for representations to be made to three A-League coaches: Melbourne Victory`s Ange Postecoglou, Western Sydney`s Tony Popovic and Central Coast`s Graham Arnold, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Qatar National Bank says its systems were "fully secure" following cyber attack
- Army busts weapon making factory in Manipur, 2 militants arrested
- Kerala polls: Time ripe for BJP to open account in the state, says Rajiv Pratap Rudy
- TMC will be wiped out after poll results: Congress
- Indian Premier League 2016: Kings XI Punjab's Axar Patel claims first hat-trick of ninth edition