Palmeiras interested in former Brazil striker Adriano
Sao Paulo: Brazilian football giants Palmeiras have expressed their desire to sign troubled former Brazil international striker Adriano.
The 31-year-old, who has played just nine games in the past three years amid a series of injury and personal problems, was sacked by Flamengo last November in his latest failed comeback bid.
"There`s no need to speak about what he has gone through. He played at a high level at great clubs in Europe and won trophies. I have never worked with him and I don`t know him. But we know that if he commits himself, he is not just your average player. Who am I to not extend my hand to him?" Palmeiras coach Gilson Kleina said Sunday night.
Adriano`s Flamengo exit came eight months after he was dismissed by Corinthians for reportedly missing 67 physiotherapy sessions while recovering from an Achilles tendon injury. He has also battled weight problems and alleged alcohol abuse.
Kleina said he was confident Adriano could return to the form that made him one of Europe`s top strikers during spells with Inter Milan, Fiorentina and Parma.
"Everybody can recover. We all have personal problems but it`s a decision he has to make if he wants to get over them. The club needs to know how his head is and how he feels physically."
Earlier, Palmeiras president Paulo Nobre confirmed Adriano had approached the club`s executive director Jose Carlos Brunoro about the possibility of joining the Sao Paulo outfit.
"Adriano is a great player. But if he really is interested he has to start training. He needs to take the first step," Nobre said.
Palmeiras, who share the mantle of Brazil`s most successful club alongside Santos with eight top-flight titles, were last December relegated to second division for the second time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured