Panathinaikos claim Champions League qualifying berth
Panathinaikos claimed Greece’s second Champions League spot on Wednesday after a 1-1 draw against Atromitos in the playoffs left the Greens with an unassailable lead at the top of the table with one match left.
Giannis Anastasiou’s team took a 33rd-minute leadthrough forward Victor Klonaridis, only for Stefano Napoleoni to equalise with five minutes left.
The draw was enough for Panathinaikos to go into the third qualifying round of Europe’s elite competition, however, because PAOK Salonika slumped to a 1-0 defeat at Asteras Tripolis.
Olympiakos Piraeus qualified automatically for the Champions League group stage after wrapping up their 41st Greek league title in March.
Panathinaikos top the playoff table with 11 points after five matches with Tripolis and PAOK second and third respectively on seven points. Atromitos are fourth with four points.
That will be a massive disappointment for PAOK, who finishedrunners-up in the regular season.
After losing 4-1 to Panathinaikos in the Greek Cup final PAOK have now missed out on a place in the Champions League and will have to settle for Europa League football.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued