Paraguayan hooligans attack Argentine fans in Libertadores Cup
Buenos Aires: Paraguayan hooligans attacked several Argentine football fans, who were being treated in a hospital in Paraguay`s capital Asuncion for cuts and scrapes sustained during a regional tournament match.
The incident occurred on Thursday, following a Libertadores Cup game between Paraguayan team Olimpia and Argentine team Newell`s, during which rocks and stones hailed on Newell`s fans.
Local media reports Friday said about a dozen hooligans "armed with sticks and knives" burst into Asuncion`s Emergency Medical Center on Thursday night and attacked the Argentine fans, sending them running through the hospital hallways looking for cover.
The sole guard on duty was unable to control the situation, until police arrived at the scene several minutes later and arrested three of the hooligans, including a 19-year-old.
Olimpia defeated Newell`s 4-1 at Asuncion`s Defensores del Chaco Stadium, moving into the lead of Group 7 of the Libertadores Cup.
Both teams have qualified to advance to the quarterfinals of the tournament.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged