Paraguayan hooligans attack Argentine fans in Libertadores Cup
Buenos Aires: Paraguayan hooligans attacked several Argentine football fans, who were being treated in a hospital in Paraguay`s capital Asuncion for cuts and scrapes sustained during a regional tournament match.
The incident occurred on Thursday, following a Libertadores Cup game between Paraguayan team Olimpia and Argentine team Newell`s, during which rocks and stones hailed on Newell`s fans.
Local media reports Friday said about a dozen hooligans "armed with sticks and knives" burst into Asuncion`s Emergency Medical Center on Thursday night and attacked the Argentine fans, sending them running through the hospital hallways looking for cover.
The sole guard on duty was unable to control the situation, until police arrived at the scene several minutes later and arrested three of the hooligans, including a 19-year-old.
Olimpia defeated Newell`s 4-1 at Asuncion`s Defensores del Chaco Stadium, moving into the lead of Group 7 of the Libertadores Cup.
Both teams have qualified to advance to the quarterfinals of the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur