Paraguayan hooligans attack Argentine fans in Libertadores Cup
Buenos Aires: Paraguayan hooligans attacked several Argentine football fans, who were being treated in a hospital in Paraguay`s capital Asuncion for cuts and scrapes sustained during a regional tournament match.
The incident occurred on Thursday, following a Libertadores Cup game between Paraguayan team Olimpia and Argentine team Newell`s, during which rocks and stones hailed on Newell`s fans.
Local media reports Friday said about a dozen hooligans "armed with sticks and knives" burst into Asuncion`s Emergency Medical Center on Thursday night and attacked the Argentine fans, sending them running through the hospital hallways looking for cover.
The sole guard on duty was unable to control the situation, until police arrived at the scene several minutes later and arrested three of the hooligans, including a 19-year-old.
Olimpia defeated Newell`s 4-1 at Asuncion`s Defensores del Chaco Stadium, moving into the lead of Group 7 of the Libertadores Cup.
Both teams have qualified to advance to the quarterfinals of the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31