Paraguayan hooligans attack Argentine fans in Libertadores Cup
Buenos Aires: Paraguayan hooligans attacked several Argentine football fans, who were being treated in a hospital in Paraguay`s capital Asuncion for cuts and scrapes sustained during a regional tournament match.
The incident occurred on Thursday, following a Libertadores Cup game between Paraguayan team Olimpia and Argentine team Newell`s, during which rocks and stones hailed on Newell`s fans.
Local media reports Friday said about a dozen hooligans "armed with sticks and knives" burst into Asuncion`s Emergency Medical Center on Thursday night and attacked the Argentine fans, sending them running through the hospital hallways looking for cover.
The sole guard on duty was unable to control the situation, until police arrived at the scene several minutes later and arrested three of the hooligans, including a 19-year-old.
Olimpia defeated Newell`s 4-1 at Asuncion`s Defensores del Chaco Stadium, moving into the lead of Group 7 of the Libertadores Cup.
Both teams have qualified to advance to the quarterfinals of the tournament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nagaland HSLC (Class 10) Result 2016 to be declared today on May 3 at 12 noon
- Nagaland HSSLC (Class 12 on May ) Result 2016 to be declared today 3 at 12 noon
- VVIP chopper cam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi reaches CBI office for questioning
- Barack Obama has wish about Osama bin Laden`s last moments
- 162 children die in four months in Pakistan's Tharparkar district