Paredes to replace Sanchez in Chile`s squad
Santiago: Chile have recalled Esteban Paredes in the squad for Tuesday`s World Cup football qualifier against Uruguay after Barcelona star Alexis Sanchez was ruled out due to suspension.
Sanchez picked up his second consecutive yellow card during the team`s 0-1 loss to Peru in Lima.
Chilean coach Jorge Sampaoli Sunday was forced to call on Paredes, who plays forward for Mexican team Atlante.
"Paredes, who arrived this morning in (Chile`s capital) Santiago, replaces Alexis Sanchez ... who was released for collecting yellow cards," the association said.
The game between Chile and Uruguay is considered key for both teams, after Chile lost to Peru in Lima and Uruguay tied Paraguay at home.
Chilean team member Marcelo Diaz praised the decision to bring Paredes in for the match.
"He is a born scorer who has been playing well for Mexico and he will beef up our offensive," said Diaz, who plays for Basel, Switzerland.
Chile will face Uruguay Tuesday at Santiago`s National Stadium in the regional Concacaf qualifying rounds for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Gold price to zoom to Rs 33,500 levels by 2016-end: Experts
- Don't panic, British economic fundamentals are strong: Business Secretary
- Monetary committee rules to be notified in few weeks: Economic Affairs Secretary
- Lucky escape for Goa mayor, six others as boat capsizes
- Land grab accused Asha Kumari appointed AICC in-charge of Punjab, triggers row