Paredes to replace Sanchez in Chile`s squad
Santiago: Chile have recalled Esteban Paredes in the squad for Tuesday`s World Cup football qualifier against Uruguay after Barcelona star Alexis Sanchez was ruled out due to suspension.
Sanchez picked up his second consecutive yellow card during the team`s 0-1 loss to Peru in Lima.
Chilean coach Jorge Sampaoli Sunday was forced to call on Paredes, who plays forward for Mexican team Atlante.
"Paredes, who arrived this morning in (Chile`s capital) Santiago, replaces Alexis Sanchez ... who was released for collecting yellow cards," the association said.
The game between Chile and Uruguay is considered key for both teams, after Chile lost to Peru in Lima and Uruguay tied Paraguay at home.
Chilean team member Marcelo Diaz praised the decision to bring Paredes in for the match.
"He is a born scorer who has been playing well for Mexico and he will beef up our offensive," said Diaz, who plays for Basel, Switzerland.
Chile will face Uruguay Tuesday at Santiago`s National Stadium in the regional Concacaf qualifying rounds for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read