Partizan 1-3 Inter Milan: Palacio & Guarin send Italians through
Belgrade: Inter recovered from a slow start against Partizan Belgrade to secure a 3-1 win in the Europa League on Thursday and confirm their place in the knockout stages of the tournament.
Andrea Stramaccioni`s side failed to hit the heights of their Derby d`Italia scalp over Juventus, and they needed Rodrigo Palacio to step up to the plate with two goals midway through the second half, before Fredy Guarin could round off the victory in the latter stages. Nemanja Tomic also netted late on but it proved to be scant consolation for the hosts.
The opening passages saw the hosts looking the better side, as they looked to make home advantage count against the Nerazzurri, but coach Vladimir Vermezovic would have been dispirited to see his side fail to convert possession into chances.
On the other hand, the energy of the Alvaro Pereira and Guarin initially appeared to be Inter`s most threatening outlets, but they struggled to muster any fluency in their play, though, soon began to take control of the tie.
Their improvement could have been halted by a surprise Partizan goal straight after the interval but Samir Handanovic was on alert to pull off an instinctive stop from Juan Jesus` botched clearance.
Yet the Italians used the scare as motivation for a subsequent goalrush. Moments later, Guarin played his way into the box and rolled a low ball across goal for Palacio to finish with a simple tap-in.
Milan Smjlancic then tried his best to put Partizan back on level terms, but Handanovic again came to the rescue, extending an arm to prevent the former Espanyol man from striking home the equaliser. Matias Silvestre then made a last-ditch intervention to deny the midfielder shortly after.
Guarin and Palacio then combined once more to great effect, with the Argentine getting on the end of the ex-Porto star`s pass to make it 2-0. Guarin then reverted roles, this time finishing Antonio Cassano`s through-ball with aplomb to complete the rout.
And despite Nemanja Tomic`s best efforts in injury time, grabbing the match`s fourth goal, it did not deter the Nerazzurri from attaining a club-record 10th straight away victory.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi