Passionate England will spring surprise at Euro 2012: Beckham
London: Former England football captain David Beckham believes that the current squad coached by Roy Hodgson has the potential to spring a surprise or two during Euro 2012 in Ukraine and Poland.
Beckham, who was at The Wembley on Saturday to collect a commemorative cap from UEFA for being one of only five men to have played more than 100 times for England, was quoted by the Daily Mail, as saying: “I think we’re going to go to the European championship and surprise a lot of people.”
“Expectations are not as high as they have been in previous competitions but we’re talking about England here. No one can doubt the talent or the passion we have,” he added.
On the withdrawal through injury of Frank Lampard and Gareth Barry, Beckham said: “It’s sad to see the players who are dropping out. They’ve worked so hard to reach a big competition like Euro 2012 and it must be really upsetting for them as players and professionals.”
He also jocularly remarked that he did not expect a call-up for the Euros.
“I doubt it will actually happen again. But there’s always a chance. I’ll never say never. I did bring my boots back with me,” Beckham said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested