Patience key for Atletico clash, says Seedorf
Madrid: AC Milan will play a patient game in Tuesday`s Champions League last 16 second leg at Atletico Madrid when they attempt to overturn a 1-0 deficit, coach Clarence Seedorf said on Monday.
The only player to win Europe`s elite club competition with three different clubs, former Ajax Amsterdam, Real Madrid and Milan midfielder Seedorf said Atletico were clearly the favourites to advance to the quarter-finals.
However, he said the seven-times European champions` glittering history could give them an edge at the Calderon, where Atletico will be trying to reach the last eight for the first time since 1997.
"You always have to have balance on these occasions," Seedorf, who took over from the sacked Massimiliano Allegri in January, told a news conference.
"The lead is minimal and the tie is open and I don`t expect much to change from the first leg," added the former Netherlands international.
"We will respect Atletico`s strengths while trying to make the most of our potential. There are 90 minutes to score a goal, or even better two."
Seedorf will be going head to head with a man he knows well from his playing days, Atletico`s Argentine coach Diego Simeone, who had stints at Italian clubs including Inter Milan and Lazio and Spanish sides Atletico and Sevilla.
Simeone has transformed Madrid`s second club into genuine contenders in Spain and Europe since taking over at the end of 2011 and they are second in La Liga, three points behind Real and a point clear of third-placed Barcelona.
Atletico`s Brazil-born Spain forward Diego Costa headed the only goal seven minutes from time in last month`s first leg and Atletico are firm favourites to advance given that they have won 15 of their last 16 European home games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price