Pato joins Corinthians
Sao Paulo: Brazilian football club Corinthians has announced the signing of striker Alexandre Pato for 15 million euros from Italian giants AC Milan.
The player signed a four-year contract Thursday and will retain 40 percent of his economic rights, with the other 60 percent belonging to the Paulista club, reports Xinhua.
The 23-year-old should be officially presented as a Corinthians player Jan 14, when the squad return for pre-season training. Pato will be handed the number seven shirt, the same number he wore at Milan.
During his five year stay in Italy the striker scored 63 goals in 150 matches. He also has nine goals in 22 games for the Brazilian national side.
The player is hoping to force himself into the reckoning for the World Cup next year. But his first task will be to break into the Corinthians attack head of Emerson Sheik and Paolo Guerrero, scorer of the winner against Chelsea that gave Corinthians the world title.
But Pato` s toughest battle will be against the injuries that have plagued his brief career. In the last four years he has suffered 16 separate setbacks, the majority to his knees.
However his stint at Milan was not without success. Pato won the World Club Cup, the Italian championship and the Italian Super Cup with the 2007 European champions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?