Pato on target in Corinthians victory
Sao Paulo: Brazil international striker Alexandre Pato and veteran midfielder Danilo netted first half goals as Corinthians defeated Atletico Sorocaba 2-0 in the Campeonato Paulista.
The victory lifted the Sao Paulo club to fifth in the standings, securing a quarterfinal berth against Ponte Preta next Sunday.
Danilo struck with a low 34th-minute shot after Peru striker Paolo Guerrero dribbled past two defenders before finding the 33-year-old unmarked in the area.
Then, on the stroke of halftime, Pato poked in from close range after Paulinho`s long-range effort rebounded off the right post.
Pato has now scored six goals from 16 appearances for Corinthians since his 15-million-euro move from AC Milan in January.
In other matches Sunday, Santos beat Penapolense 2-1 to set up a quarterfinal meeting with Palmeiras, who lost 2-1 to Ituano.
Sao Paulo lost 1-0 to Mogi Mirim and will face Penapolense for a place in the final four next Sunday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city