Pato on target in Corinthians victory
Sao Paulo: Brazil international striker Alexandre Pato and veteran midfielder Danilo netted first half goals as Corinthians defeated Atletico Sorocaba 2-0 in the Campeonato Paulista.
The victory lifted the Sao Paulo club to fifth in the standings, securing a quarterfinal berth against Ponte Preta next Sunday.
Danilo struck with a low 34th-minute shot after Peru striker Paolo Guerrero dribbled past two defenders before finding the 33-year-old unmarked in the area.
Then, on the stroke of halftime, Pato poked in from close range after Paulinho`s long-range effort rebounded off the right post.
Pato has now scored six goals from 16 appearances for Corinthians since his 15-million-euro move from AC Milan in January.
In other matches Sunday, Santos beat Penapolense 2-1 to set up a quarterfinal meeting with Palmeiras, who lost 2-1 to Ituano.
Sao Paulo lost 1-0 to Mogi Mirim and will face Penapolense for a place in the final four next Sunday.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'