Pay wages or I`ll quit: Vasco coach
Rio de Janeiro: Vasco da Gama coach Paulo Autuori has warned he will resign if the club fails to meet its commitment to pay wages on time.
The threat comes amid reports the financially stricken Rio de Janeiro outfit has not paid players or officials for three months, reports Xinhua.
"I`m not going to put up with this," Autuori said. "I`m confident it can be sorted out because I said I wouldn`t sign with the club if the situation continued. I am going to be firm about this."
Autuori, who coached Qatar`s national team from 2011 until January this year, joined Vasco last month after the dismissal of former boss Gaucho.
His ultimatum is an all too familiar story for Vasco, whose inability to pay salaries has already led to the summer departure of stars Juninho, Nilton and Fernando Prass.
Vasco`s financial director Nelson Rocha revealed in January the club`s net debt had spiralled to $125 million.
Autuori said it was up to the club to seek a change in fortunes.
"I want to see Vasco looking for a way out. We all need to play our part, by getting results on the pitch and bringing in revenue. Brazilian clubs, generally speaking, are late in paying salaries and this trend has to end."
One of Brazil`s oldest and most successful clubs, Vasco are currently last in Group A of the Taca Rio with just one draw from three matches.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’