Pele raises a glass to Champagne`s FIFA bid
London: Pele has endorsed Jerome Champagne`s bid to become the next president of FIFA, saying he supported the 55-year-old Frenchman`s vision for the future of world soccer`s governing body on Monday.
The Brazilian, widely regarded as the world`s greatest-ever player, gave his backing in a videotaped message shown when Champagne launched his bid at a news conference in London.
Pele said: "I cannot stay away from a debate which is so important for the future of football and thus, I support Jerome Champagne and his vision."
Champagne has built his campaign on addressing the imbalances in the game on and off the pitch and making the governance of FIFA more democratic and transparent.
Pele, 73, said the pair first met in the 1990s when he was Brazil`s Minister of Sport and Champagne was the First Secretary at the French Embassy in Brazil, and they developed "a sincere friendship."
Pele added: "Football today enjoys a lot of success but also faces many problems requiring a strong and democratic FIFA with a vision in favour of everyone, and a governance which is both universal and modern.
"FIFA must continue doing what has been done well in the past, taking its competitions and the World Cup to all countries and also continue its development programmes, but has to adapt itself to the 21st century and to the world of today."
Champagne worked at FIFA from 1999 to 2010 and has since been working as an independent consultant, with FIFA`s co-operation, in a number of the world`s football trouble spots.
Current FIFA president Sepp Blatter and UEFA president Michel Platini are also expected to stand for the office but have not declared their intentions yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why