Pele saddened by World Cup delays in Brazil
Sao Paolo: Brazilian legend Pele has revealed he is saddened by the delays in his homeland surrounding preparations for the World Cup.
"It is sad as this was an opportunity for Brazil not just in terms of football," said Pele.
"The Confederations Cup, the world Cup and the Olympics were an opportunity to attract tourists and bring in revenue.
"But unfortunately we are a bit behind the pump," Pele said in an interview published Thursday in O Estado de Sao Paulo daily.
"I am sad because before winning the right to host the World Cup we spent four years making visits. I was one of those who went to various places in Africa, Asia, Europe seeking votes for Brazil to win hosting rights," said Pele.
"It is difficult to say why this is happening because we had time," said Pele, alluding to delays in stadium construction.
His criticism follows on from similar observations made recently by FIFA president Sepp Blatter, who said Brazil should have started preparations much earlier.
FIFA set a December 31 deadline for all 12 venues to be ready but had to scrap the date with half still not finished after fatal accidents at three stadiums and various other delays.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users