Pellegrini eager to keep Dzeko at Manchester City
Manchester: Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini has played down speculation linking Edin Dzeko with a move away from the Etihad Stadium.
The Bosnian striker was largely used as an impact substitute by former boss Roberto Mancini last season, but Pellegrini is adamant Dzeko will be given a chance to prove his worth.
"I spoke two weeks ago with Dzeko when he was on holiday and he does not have any problems," Pellegrini told reporters.
"He will stay here. For me, he`s a very important player. I`m sure that he will give this year the performances to show what he can do."
The former Real Madrid and Malaga boss has also revealed he has his squad on a fierce fitness regime ahead of City`s opening pre-season friendly against Super Sport United on Sunday.
"The most important thing at the moment is the fitness and they`re working very hard with Jose Cabello [fitness coach]," he said.
"In terms of football, they`re just playing small games of six or seven-a-side with one touch, but nothing more.
"I`ve not had a problem with them. It`s logical that at the beginning they ask a lot of different things. They`ve worked very hard with us and they`re comfortable with each other."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news