Per Mertesacker joins Philipp Lahm, Miroslav Klosein Germany retirement
Berlin: Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker on Friday became the third member of Germany`s World Cup-winning team to announce his international retirement, claiming he wants to focus on winning the Champions League.
The 29-year-old, who won 104 caps, said his dream now is also to help the Gunners clinch the Premier League title after joining Philipp Lahm and Miroslav Klose in quitting the international scene.
"I wanted to be the one who decided when to close this chapter in my career," Mertesacker told Suddeutsche Zeitung in an interview to be published Saturday.
"The World Cup (where Germany beat Argentina 1-0 in the final) was a golden conclusion to the best eight weeks of our lives."
He added: "Now I want to win the Premier League with Arsenal and also try and win the Champions League."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai