Per Mertesacker joins Philipp Lahm, Miroslav Klosein Germany retirement
Berlin: Arsenal defender Per Mertesacker on Friday became the third member of Germany`s World Cup-winning team to announce his international retirement, claiming he wants to focus on winning the Champions League.
The 29-year-old, who won 104 caps, said his dream now is also to help the Gunners clinch the Premier League title after joining Philipp Lahm and Miroslav Klose in quitting the international scene.
"I wanted to be the one who decided when to close this chapter in my career," Mertesacker told Suddeutsche Zeitung in an interview to be published Saturday.
"The World Cup (where Germany beat Argentina 1-0 in the final) was a golden conclusion to the best eight weeks of our lives."
He added: "Now I want to win the Premier League with Arsenal and also try and win the Champions League."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read