Peru midfielder gets two-year doping ban
Rio de Janeiro: World football`s governing body FIFA has suspended Peru international midfielder Joel Sanchez until 2015 for testing positive to a banned substance.
The 23-year-old was found to have traces of the stimulant methylhexaneamine in a test sample conducted after Peru`s 1-1 draw with Bolivia in a World Cup qualifier in La Paz last October, FIFA said in a statement Friday.
It is not known if Sanchez will appeal the ban, which prohibits him from taking part in "all official fixtures at domestic and international level" until Jan 21, 2015, reports Xinhua.
The penalty is the toughest handed down by FIFA since Italy`s Eduardo Morgado was given a two year suspension for using the anabolic steroid nandrolone at the 2008 Futsal World Cup.
According to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), methylhexaneamine is sometimes consumed without intent to dope.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- E-vehicle maker Clean Motion to invest $10 million in India
- Must watch VIDEO: This is possibly the best ever catch of IPL
- BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur proposes 10 years of jail term for fixers in private bill
- After Uttarakhand, now Himachal faces the brunt of forest fires, 50 ha of woodland destroyed
- Good News: Flying from IGI Airport becomes cheaper from May 1