Philippines earn AFC Challenge Cup spot
Manila: The Philippines defeated Turkmenistan 1-0 to earn a spot in next year`s Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Challenge Cup in the Maldives.
The country`s most popular footballer Phil Younghusband scored in the 67th minute, with a right-footed shot as the home side secured the top spot in Group E of the qualifiers by winning all three matches.
The Philippines earned their second straight appearance in the Challenge Cup alongside Turkmenistan, Myanmar, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Palestine, Bangladesh and host Maldives.
"It was a very hard-fought victory. We went 100 percent against this very stubborn, very aggressively defending team," said Philippine coach Michael Weiss.
The qualifiers got off to a wrong foot as all three teams including Cambodia were given three points apiece by forfeiture after Brunei Darussalam withdrew at the last minute, citing "unavoidable circumstances".
The Philippines on Sunday rolled to an 8-0 rout of Cambodia with Younghusband scoring four goals and striker Patino adding two in a match marred by a pair of delays due to a power outage and heavy downpour, that hit the Philippine capital.
Turkmenistan, who opened its campaign with a 7-0 triumph over Cambodia Friday, settled for second spot with six points but still earned a place in the final stages due to a better goal difference than India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional