Philippines earn AFC Challenge Cup spot
Manila: The Philippines defeated Turkmenistan 1-0 to earn a spot in next year`s Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Challenge Cup in the Maldives.
The country`s most popular footballer Phil Younghusband scored in the 67th minute, with a right-footed shot as the home side secured the top spot in Group E of the qualifiers by winning all three matches.
The Philippines earned their second straight appearance in the Challenge Cup alongside Turkmenistan, Myanmar, Afghanistan, Kyrgyzstan, Palestine, Bangladesh and host Maldives.
"It was a very hard-fought victory. We went 100 percent against this very stubborn, very aggressively defending team," said Philippine coach Michael Weiss.
The qualifiers got off to a wrong foot as all three teams including Cambodia were given three points apiece by forfeiture after Brunei Darussalam withdrew at the last minute, citing "unavoidable circumstances".
The Philippines on Sunday rolled to an 8-0 rout of Cambodia with Younghusband scoring four goals and striker Patino adding two in a match marred by a pair of delays due to a power outage and heavy downpour, that hit the Philippine capital.
Turkmenistan, who opened its campaign with a 7-0 triumph over Cambodia Friday, settled for second spot with six points but still earned a place in the final stages due to a better goal difference than India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot