Pirlo honoured by 100-game milestone at Maracana
Rio de Janeiro: Italy midfielder Andre Pirlo said he felt "honoured" to make his 100th international appearance at Brazil`s iconic Maracana Stadium against Mexico Sunday.
The 34-year-old admitted that the Confederations Cup Group A match would provide one of the highlights of his 18-year professional career.
"It`s a source of pride. I am lucky to be playing it here at the Maracana and I hope to be able to celebrate it with a victory. I am feeling great. I am here to do the best I can, despite the long season that we had in Italy," the 2006 World Cup winner said Saturday.
Earlier, Mexico coach Jose Manuel de la Torre identified Pirlo as the key to Italy`s fortunes. De la Torre said Mexico needed to "disconnect" the Juventus star to have any chance of winning the match.
"I appreciate his concern about me but I don`t play alone. I think we will find ways to escape the defensive marking that Mexico tries," Pirlo said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!