Pirlo out of Italy`s clash with Brazil
Rio de Janeiro: Italy will be without influential midfielder Andrea Pirlo for their final Confederations Cup Group A clash against Brazil on Saturday with a calf injury.
Results of a scan on Thursday showed the 34-year-old damaged his right calf muscle during Italy`s 4-3 victory over Japan in Recife on Wednesday, reports Xinhua.
Italy`s midfield has already been weakened by the suspension of Daniele De Rossi for Saturday`s match at Salvador`s Arena Fonte Nova.
"The scan showed there was no tear of the muscle fibre but there is a strain," Italy team physician Enrico Castellacci said on Thursday.
The injury casts doubt over Pirlo`s availability for the rest of the tournament, considered a warm up event for next year`s World Cup.
Castellacci said his future involvement depended on how well the 2006 World Cup winner responded to treatment.
Pirlo struggled to make an impact against Japan, three days after being named player of the match in Italy`s 2-1 victory over Mexico, his 100th cap for the Azzurri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bhagat Singh's name termed as terrorist to be removed from DU textbook
- Ludhiana: Protest against DU for calling Bhagat Singh as terrorist in textbook
- Delhi: INTUC workers protest outside Subramanian Swamy's residence
- Special CBI court accuses Naveen Jindal for criminal conspiracy in coal scam
- Gujarat announces 10% reservation for economically backward class
- Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Raees’ in trouble – Click here to read more
- Kapil Sharma meets 'showman' Subhash Ghai at Whistling Woods—See pic!
- Centre to release 25 declassified files related to Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose today