Pirlo out of Italy`s clash with Brazil
Rio de Janeiro: Italy will be without influential midfielder Andrea Pirlo for their final Confederations Cup Group A clash against Brazil on Saturday with a calf injury.
Results of a scan on Thursday showed the 34-year-old damaged his right calf muscle during Italy`s 4-3 victory over Japan in Recife on Wednesday, reports Xinhua.
Italy`s midfield has already been weakened by the suspension of Daniele De Rossi for Saturday`s match at Salvador`s Arena Fonte Nova.
"The scan showed there was no tear of the muscle fibre but there is a strain," Italy team physician Enrico Castellacci said on Thursday.
The injury casts doubt over Pirlo`s availability for the rest of the tournament, considered a warm up event for next year`s World Cup.
Castellacci said his future involvement depended on how well the 2006 World Cup winner responded to treatment.
Pirlo struggled to make an impact against Japan, three days after being named player of the match in Italy`s 2-1 victory over Mexico, his 100th cap for the Azzurri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details