Pizarro earns Werder 1-1 draw at Augsburg
Berlin: Werder Bremen wasted a hatful of chances and needed a Claudio Pizarro equaliser to secure a 1-1 draw at promoted Augsburg on Friday.
The result gave Werder 17 points from 10 games and moved them up to third in the Bundesliga, five points behind leaders Bayern Munich.
Augsburg, looking for their first home win of the season, took the lead against the run of play with a powerful Axel Bellinghausen shot in the 49th minute.
Peruvian striker Pizarro levelled in the 68th with his seventh league goal of the season.
The visitors hit the woodwork with a Markus Rosenberg header and he was also denied later by keeper Simon Jentzsch, who was playing with a fractured finger.
Pizarro twice failed to beat Jentzsch in one-on-one situations late in the game as Werder poured forward.
Augsburg are third from bottom on eight points.
Bayern travel to Hannover 96 on Sunday. Second-placed Borussia Moenchengladbach, on the same points as Werder, visit Hoffenheim on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?