Pizarro earns Werder 1-1 draw at Augsburg
Berlin: Werder Bremen wasted a hatful of chances and needed a Claudio Pizarro equaliser to secure a 1-1 draw at promoted Augsburg on Friday.
The result gave Werder 17 points from 10 games and moved them up to third in the Bundesliga, five points behind leaders Bayern Munich.
Augsburg, looking for their first home win of the season, took the lead against the run of play with a powerful Axel Bellinghausen shot in the 49th minute.
Peruvian striker Pizarro levelled in the 68th with his seventh league goal of the season.
The visitors hit the woodwork with a Markus Rosenberg header and he was also denied later by keeper Simon Jentzsch, who was playing with a fractured finger.
Pizarro twice failed to beat Jentzsch in one-on-one situations late in the game as Werder poured forward.
Augsburg are third from bottom on eight points.
Bayern travel to Hannover 96 on Sunday. Second-placed Borussia Moenchengladbach, on the same points as Werder, visit Hoffenheim on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant