Pizarro earns Werder 1-1 draw at Augsburg
Berlin: Werder Bremen wasted a hatful of chances and needed a Claudio Pizarro equaliser to secure a 1-1 draw at promoted Augsburg on Friday.
The result gave Werder 17 points from 10 games and moved them up to third in the Bundesliga, five points behind leaders Bayern Munich.
Augsburg, looking for their first home win of the season, took the lead against the run of play with a powerful Axel Bellinghausen shot in the 49th minute.
Peruvian striker Pizarro levelled in the 68th with his seventh league goal of the season.
The visitors hit the woodwork with a Markus Rosenberg header and he was also denied later by keeper Simon Jentzsch, who was playing with a fractured finger.
Pizarro twice failed to beat Jentzsch in one-on-one situations late in the game as Werder poured forward.
Augsburg are third from bottom on eight points.
Bayern travel to Hannover 96 on Sunday. Second-placed Borussia Moenchengladbach, on the same points as Werder, visit Hoffenheim on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city