Pizarro earns Werder 1-1 draw at Augsburg
Berlin: Werder Bremen wasted a hatful of chances and needed a Claudio Pizarro equaliser to secure a 1-1 draw at promoted Augsburg on Friday.
The result gave Werder 17 points from 10 games and moved them up to third in the Bundesliga, five points behind leaders Bayern Munich.
Augsburg, looking for their first home win of the season, took the lead against the run of play with a powerful Axel Bellinghausen shot in the 49th minute.
Peruvian striker Pizarro levelled in the 68th with his seventh league goal of the season.
The visitors hit the woodwork with a Markus Rosenberg header and he was also denied later by keeper Simon Jentzsch, who was playing with a fractured finger.
Pizarro twice failed to beat Jentzsch in one-on-one situations late in the game as Werder poured forward.
Augsburg are third from bottom on eight points.
Bayern travel to Hannover 96 on Sunday. Second-placed Borussia Moenchengladbach, on the same points as Werder, visit Hoffenheim on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured