Pizarro returns to Bremen on three-year deal
Berlin: Werder Bremen have signed Peru striker Claudio Pizarro on a permanent three-year deal from Chelsea, the Bundesliga club said on Tuesday.
Pizarro was on loan at Werder last season and helped them win the German Cup and reach the UEFA Cup final in his second stint with the northern side he played for from 1999 to 2001.
His new contract, running to 2012, includes an option for one more year.
"I am very happy we could seal the deal," Werder sports director Klaus Allofs told reporters.
"It has been an issue for months and in the past weeks we intensified our efforts to get Claudio."
The gifted striker formed a formidable partnership with midfielder Diego last season, scoring 17 goals in 26 league games, and will team up with Germany`s Mesut Ozil who has filled the void left by the Brazilian`s departure to Juventus.
"I am happy to be back as I wanted desperately to return to Werder," Pizarro said.
He joined Chelsea on a free transfer from Bayern Munich in 2007 but scored just twice in 31 matches during his first season with the Premier League club. He had not played for Chelsea this season under new Italian coach Carlo Ancelotti.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part II
- Panel discussion on the need of 'smart' politics in India - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Find out which day of the week is dedicated to which Lord!
- Angelique Kerber eyes double delight, aims German Wimbledon & Euros triumph
- Banned Pakistan spin-bowler Danish Kaneria returns home from India
- Seven companies in race to manage EPFO's equity investments in FY17
- BCCI Conclave: DDCA Joint Secretary Vivek Gupta snubbed as he went uninvited!