Pizarro returns to Bremen on three-year deal
Berlin: Werder Bremen have signed Peru striker Claudio Pizarro on a permanent three-year deal from Chelsea, the Bundesliga club said on Tuesday.
Pizarro was on loan at Werder last season and helped them win the German Cup and reach the UEFA Cup final in his second stint with the northern side he played for from 1999 to 2001.
His new contract, running to 2012, includes an option for one more year.
"I am very happy we could seal the deal," Werder sports director Klaus Allofs told reporters.
"It has been an issue for months and in the past weeks we intensified our efforts to get Claudio."
The gifted striker formed a formidable partnership with midfielder Diego last season, scoring 17 goals in 26 league games, and will team up with Germany`s Mesut Ozil who has filled the void left by the Brazilian`s departure to Juventus.
"I am happy to be back as I wanted desperately to return to Werder," Pizarro said.
He joined Chelsea on a free transfer from Bayern Munich in 2007 but scored just twice in 31 matches during his first season with the Premier League club. He had not played for Chelsea this season under new Italian coach Carlo Ancelotti.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India