Plane carrying Italian footballers struck by lightning
Milan: The plane carrying Italy`s players to Switzerland was struck by lightning on Wednesday ahead of their clash against Brazil on Thursday night.
The Azzurri travelled to Geneva from Florence to play the World Cup 2014 hosts in a friendly game but were greeted while landing with lightning bolt, though no players were harmed.
The players were shaken by the incident, but any chance of a crash or similar incident having nearly occurred were rubbished by the plane`s captain.
"The situation was always under control," assured Roberto Andolfato told Sky Sport.
However team boss Cesare Prandelli admitted his side were afraid at the turn of events.
"I challenge anyone to say they weren’t scared," Prandelli told journalists at a delayed press conference in Switzerland.
“There was a loud ‘boom’ and then silence. The bolt of lightning hit the wing."
Juventus Claudio Marchisio tweeted afterwards: "Beautiful plane scare today! We are now in our hotel in Geneva, and tomorrow big challenge against Brazil."
Cesare Prandelli`s men face the Selecao on March 21 at 20:30CET, before preparing for a World Cup qualifier against minnows Malta next Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?