Players perform better when they have competition: Mourinho
London: The Portuguese coach insists that striking a balance between "trust and competitiveness" is vital in order to get players to reach their maximum level on the pitch.
Real Madrid boss Jose Mourinho has stressed the importance of competition within his squad of players, after coming in for criticisim for dropping club captain Iker Casillas for the 3-2 loss to Malaga in December.
The Portuguese has insisted that he has not lost faith in his skipper, instead highlighting the importance of striking a balance between trusting in his players and keeping them competitive.
"All positions are positions of trust, I think it is important for all players, not just for goalkeepers. All players are important," he told reporters at a press conference.
"I don`t think it`s best for any player to be in a permanently comfortable zone. Trust is important, but also competitiveness, and what we have to do is try to find the exact point of balance [between the two].
"I think players reach their best levels of play between trust and competitiveness."
Mourinho, one of the candidates for Coach of the Year at the Ballon d`Or ceremony, revealed he would not be attending the event in Zurich on Monday.
"I`m not attending the Ballon d`Or gala, I have a Copa del Rey match on Wednesday against Celta and I have to work."
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani