Playing against Chelsea makes Champions League final more exciting: Robben
Munich: Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben has admitted that he cannot wait to play against former club Chelsea in the Champions League final.
The Netherlands international played a crucial part as the Bundesliga giants knocked out Real Madrid, another past team of the Dutchman, in the semi-finals, and is looking forward to facing the Stamford Bridge outfit.
"Honestly, it couldn’t be better for me," he told Times of India.
"Playing against Chelsea makes the final even more exciting. In the semi-finals I was up against Real Madrid, who are also one of my former clubs, and, of course, against one of my former managers, and now it’s Chelsea. Amazing," he confessed.
The flying winger went on to state that he keeps up to speed with the Blues’ results, and is pleased that Roberto Di Matteo has led the west London team to the final.
"I had such a great time at Chelsea. I’m very happy for Roman Abramovich, who has put so much effort and money into the club. The fans were very good to me when I was there so I’m very pleased for them as well.
"I will always have fond memories of my time at Stamford Bridge so I’m very happy for Chelsea that they are there [in the final]."
Despite Chelsea being criticised in the media for their defensive tactics on a number of occasions this season, Robben feels that both teams will attack at the Allianz Arena.
"They have players suspended, as we do, and the team has changed since I was there, of course. But I think they have done so well to qualify.
"I remember watching their game against Napoli earlier in the season and I was very surprised and very disappointed because they were poor. But since then they have improved a lot.
"I think this will be a different game. It’s not over two legs. It’s just one match and that makes a difference. I think both teams will attack," he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi