Podolski brace keeps Arsenal hopes alive for top four finish
Johannesburg: Arsenal has beaten West Ham United 3-1 in their Premier League clash on Tuesday at the Emirates Stadium, keeping alive their hopes of qualifying for the Champions League.
Arsene Wenger`s side, which needed a victory over their London rivals to climb back into fourth, is in danger of failing to reach Europe`s elite club competition for the first time in 17 years after a miserable run saw them surrender fourth place to Everton.
According to Sport24, although Matthew Jarvis struck for the visitors late in the first half, however, German forward Lukas Podolski equalised minutes later before France striker Olivier Giroud put the hosts ahead soon after the interval.
The report mentioned that Podolski`s second in the closing stages sealed Arsenal`s first victory in their last five league games and lifted the north Londoners one point clear of Everton.
Giroud celebrated his 20th goal of the season by paying tribute to the 96 Liverpool fans who died in the Hillsborough disaster as he marked the 25th anniversary of the tragedy by kissing his black armband and pointing to the sky, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical