Podolski brace keeps Arsenal hopes alive for top four finish
Johannesburg: Arsenal has beaten West Ham United 3-1 in their Premier League clash on Tuesday at the Emirates Stadium, keeping alive their hopes of qualifying for the Champions League.
Arsene Wenger`s side, which needed a victory over their London rivals to climb back into fourth, is in danger of failing to reach Europe`s elite club competition for the first time in 17 years after a miserable run saw them surrender fourth place to Everton.
According to Sport24, although Matthew Jarvis struck for the visitors late in the first half, however, German forward Lukas Podolski equalised minutes later before France striker Olivier Giroud put the hosts ahead soon after the interval.
The report mentioned that Podolski`s second in the closing stages sealed Arsenal`s first victory in their last five league games and lifted the north Londoners one point clear of Everton.
Giroud celebrated his 20th goal of the season by paying tribute to the 96 Liverpool fans who died in the Hillsborough disaster as he marked the 25th anniversary of the tragedy by kissing his black armband and pointing to the sky, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- REVEALED: MS Dhoni dated this actress before marrying Sakshi...
- Watch: Turkish lawmakers exchange blows over 'changes' to Constitution
- Gold Monetisation Scheme mobilises 2.8 tonnes so far
- Kishore Biyani appointed as MD of Bharti Retail
- Now, Pakistan's spy agency ISI using 'mobile apps' to spy on Indian security forces?