Podolski brace keeps Arsenal hopes alive for top four finish
Johannesburg: Arsenal has beaten West Ham United 3-1 in their Premier League clash on Tuesday at the Emirates Stadium, keeping alive their hopes of qualifying for the Champions League.
Arsene Wenger`s side, which needed a victory over their London rivals to climb back into fourth, is in danger of failing to reach Europe`s elite club competition for the first time in 17 years after a miserable run saw them surrender fourth place to Everton.
According to Sport24, although Matthew Jarvis struck for the visitors late in the first half, however, German forward Lukas Podolski equalised minutes later before France striker Olivier Giroud put the hosts ahead soon after the interval.
The report mentioned that Podolski`s second in the closing stages sealed Arsenal`s first victory in their last five league games and lifted the north Londoners one point clear of Everton.
Giroud celebrated his 20th goal of the season by paying tribute to the 96 Liverpool fans who died in the Hillsborough disaster as he marked the 25th anniversary of the tragedy by kissing his black armband and pointing to the sky, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves