Podolski to miss Germany qualifier against Azerbaijan
Berlin: Germany striker Lukas Podolski has been ruled out of Wednesday`s 2010 World Cup qualifier against Azerbaijan after picking up a minor injury in training this week, the German soccer federation (DFB) said on Sunday.
Podolski had also missed Cologne`s season opener, a 1-0 defeat by Borussia Dortmund on Saturday, after feeling some pain in his leg muscle during training throughout the week.
"It would have been too risky to play him in Baku because he could then be out for much longer," Germany coach Joachim Loew said on the federation`s website.
Germany are top of European qualifying Group Four, a point ahead of Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman