Podolski to miss Germany qualifier against Azerbaijan
Berlin: Germany striker Lukas Podolski has been ruled out of Wednesday`s 2010 World Cup qualifier against Azerbaijan after picking up a minor injury in training this week, the German soccer federation (DFB) said on Sunday.
Podolski had also missed Cologne`s season opener, a 1-0 defeat by Borussia Dortmund on Saturday, after feeling some pain in his leg muscle during training throughout the week.
"It would have been too risky to play him in Baku because he could then be out for much longer," Germany coach Joachim Loew said on the federation`s website.
Germany are top of European qualifying Group Four, a point ahead of Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city