Podolski to miss Germany qualifier against Azerbaijan
Berlin: Germany striker Lukas Podolski has been ruled out of Wednesday`s 2010 World Cup qualifier against Azerbaijan after picking up a minor injury in training this week, the German soccer federation (DFB) said on Sunday.
Podolski had also missed Cologne`s season opener, a 1-0 defeat by Borussia Dortmund on Saturday, after feeling some pain in his leg muscle during training throughout the week.
"It would have been too risky to play him in Baku because he could then be out for much longer," Germany coach Joachim Loew said on the federation`s website.
Germany are top of European qualifying Group Four, a point ahead of Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa - Statistical highlights