Police arrest 15-year-old boy for alleged racist tweet to Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand
Greater Manchester Police have confirmed the youngster has been apprehended and bailed on suspicion of a racially-aggravated public order offence following Sunday`s match
A 15-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence in the aftermath of the Manchester derby, Greater Manchester Police have confirmed.
The investigation was launched when police were notified of a racist tweet which was sent to a Manchester United player, reported to be defender Rio Ferdinand, following Sunday`s game, which the Red Devils dramatically won 3-2.
A statement from Greater Manchester Police read: "Police investigating a racist tweet sent during Sunday`s Manchester derby have made an arrest.
"An investigation was launched following a message directed at a Manchester United player.
"A 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence on the evening of Monday 10 December 2012.
"He has been bailed pending further enquiries."
The boy has been bailed pending further enquiries as the fallout from a particularly heated clash at the Etihad Stadium continues to intensify.
Nine arrests were made in the immediate aftermath of the fixture, and authorities are still searching for the man who threw a coin which struck Ferdinand in the face as he celebrated his side`s victory.
Meanwhile, Manchester City fan Matthew Stott is facing a life ban from the club after running onto the pitch in an attempt to get to the United star.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31