Police investigate FIFA World Cup stadium construction debacle

IANS| Updated: Dec 03, 2013, 14:39 PM IST

Sao Paulo: Brazilian police suspect crane operator Jose Walter Joaquim is in hiding following last week`s World Cup stadium tragedy here.

Joaquim, 56, was allegedly in control of the LR 1130 Liebherr crane that crashed into the Itaquerao Stadium`s facade last Wednesday, killing two workers. Police have been unable to locate Joaquim and neighbours says he has abandoned his home, reports Xinhua.

Police are working with three possible hypotheses: human error, mechanical fault and shifting of underlying soil.

More than 1,300 workers resumed construction of the venue Monday. Builder Odebrecht said a section where the facade partially collapsed remained closed off to workers as investigations continue into the cause of the accident.

FIFA is likely to extend the stadium`s year-end construction deadline due to the extenuating circumstances.

The 70,000-seat Itaquerao will host six World Cup matches including the tournament opener June 12.