Police use tear gas in World Cup stadium furor
Salvador: Police were forced to use tear gas and smoke grenades to break up clashes between fans seeking tickets for the official re-opening of Brazil`s Fonte Nova arena to be used at the 2014 World Cup.
Violence erupted among fans on Friday, some of whom had queued up since Thursday night, when ticket booths opened before midday.
Redevelopment work on the 56,500-capacity stadium in Brazil`s northeastern state of Bahia cost $330 million, more than $50 million over the original budget.
Witnesses blamed the incident on the absence of barriers allowing fans to form orderly queues in front of ticket windows.
Police said some fans suffered light injuries during the clashes but no arrests were made.
Bahia government spokesman Jacques Wagner said an immediate investigation would be launched into the incident.
"We are going to come down with the full force of the law. What happened is unacceptable," Wagner said.
He said extra police would be summoned to reinforce security for next Friday`s inauguration match between local rivals Bahia and Vitoria.
Fonte Nova will host three fixtures during June`s FIFA Confederations Cup and six World Cup matches.
Meanwhile, a building worker was killed on Thursday night in an accident at another World Cup venue in the Amazonian city of Manaus.
Local media reported Raimundo Nonato Lima Costa, 49, died from severe head injuries after falling from a height of about 5m at the Arena da Amazonia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened