Porto joins race for Man United target Ribeiro
Rio de Janiero: Portuguese football club FC Porto have joined the battle to sign highly-rated Brazilian midfielder Everton Ribeiro.
Officials from the Portuguese club have contacted Cruzeiro officials about a deal for the 24 year-old during the January transfer window, reports Xinhua.
Manchester United and Liverpool have also been linked with the former Brazil U-20 star.
Ribeiro has been a key member of the Cruzeiro team that secured the Campeonato Brasileiro title with four matches to spare last month.
He has scored seven goals and given 11 assists from 35 league starts in 2013.
Cruzeiro is understood to have placed an eight million-euro price tag on the player.
Earlier, the Brazilian club`s director of football Alexandre Mattos denied having received offers for Ribeiro.
"So far I am not aware of any interest from any club," Mattos told Globoesporte. "Everton Ribeiro will only leave the club if Cruzeiro want."
But Ribeiro`s agent Robson Ferreira rebuffed Mattos` comments.
"Cruzeiro have not received anything because I am handling the situation directly with Manchester United," he said.
"Everton Ribeiro has just been named the best player in Brazilian Football.
"David Moyes is impressed and I personally met a United official. They consider him a complete midfielder."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding