Portugal call up defender Sereno for injured Alves
Lisbon: Portugal have called up centre back Sereno to replace the injured Bruno Alves for the World Cup Group F qualifying matches against Israel on Friday and Luxembourg four days later.
Sereno plays for Turkish top-flight club Kayserispor and won his first international cap in June.
The Portuguese Football Federation confirmed the withdrawal of experienced Fenerbahce defender Alves in a statement but did not disclose his injury.
Portugal are second in the table, one point behind leaders Russia and five ahead of Israel. Luxembourg are second from bottom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- More than two-thirds rise in vision loss globally due to diabetes: Study
- Pregnant women consider weight gain as baby weight
- Janmashtami celebrated with traditional fervour across India
- Combination of diet and exercise may help prevent heart problems: Study
- Overuse of antibiotics harming India's fight against TB: The Lancet