Portugal call up defender Sereno for injured Alves
Lisbon: Portugal have called up centre back Sereno to replace the injured Bruno Alves for the World Cup Group F qualifying matches against Israel on Friday and Luxembourg four days later.
Sereno plays for Turkish top-flight club Kayserispor and won his first international cap in June.
The Portuguese Football Federation confirmed the withdrawal of experienced Fenerbahce defender Alves in a statement but did not disclose his injury.
Portugal are second in the table, one point behind leaders Russia and five ahead of Israel. Luxembourg are second from bottom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened