Portugal call up defender Sereno for injured Alves
Lisbon: Portugal have called up centre back Sereno to replace the injured Bruno Alves for the World Cup Group F qualifying matches against Israel on Friday and Luxembourg four days later.
Sereno plays for Turkish top-flight club Kayserispor and won his first international cap in June.
The Portuguese Football Federation confirmed the withdrawal of experienced Fenerbahce defender Alves in a statement but did not disclose his injury.
Portugal are second in the table, one point behind leaders Russia and five ahead of Israel. Luxembourg are second from bottom.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad