Portugal can’t afford anymore slip-ups: Ronaldo
Lisbon: Cristiano Ronaldo has stressed that Portugal cannot afford to slip up again in the remainder of the 2014 World Cup qualification campaign if they are to make it to Brazil next year.
The Seleccao were held to a 3-3 draw by Israel last Friday and currently sit third in Group F with eight points from five games, trailing leaders Russia by four points.
"We have zero room for error from here on," the Real Madrid star was quoted as saying.
Ronaldo will miss Tuesday`s qualifier against Azerbaijan due to suspension, but he is keen to stay with the team as he feels his presence benefits the Seleccao.
"The easiest thing for me would have been to return to my club, but I said that I wanted to stay. I feel that my presence with the team is important," he explained.
"I can still contribute something to the team even when I`m not playing. I`m a bit sad that I can`t help the guys out there on the pitch, but I will encourage the team to give their all and get a good result."
Portugal, head into Tuesday’s match without a win since September 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA