Portugal must take Russia seriously, says coach
Moscow: Russia are a quality team and Portugal cannot afford to take them lightly when the two clash in a football World Cup qualifier, Portugal coach Paulo Bento said.
Friday`s match pits together the two favourites in Group F, each with 100 percent records after two games.
"We need to approach the Russian national team in a serious manner," Bento said, adding that the quality of the Russian players and coach Fabio Capello made them serious opponents.
"We`re here to win."
Bento added that the match was "important, but not crucial" to Portugal`s chances of reaching Brazil 2014.
Capello earlier joked that he had hoped Ronaldo had been seriously hurt when he was substituted with a shoulder injury after scoring both of Real Madrid`s goals in a 2-2 draw with Barcelona Saturday.
Bento would not be drawn on a response to Capello`s comments.
"I always like good players to play," he said when asked about what Capello had said.
The artificial pitch at Moscow`s Luzhniki Stadium is not a concern, he added.
"No," Bento said when asked whether the surface could harm Portugal`s chances.
Both countries are in action again Tuesday, with Portugal hosting Northern Ireland and Russia playing Azerbaijan in Moscow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!