Post Ballon d`Or, Cristiano Ronaldo continues to score and evolve
Zee Media Bureau/Jayanta Oinam
New Delhi: It seems, Cristiano Ronaldo is not the one to rest on the laurels. After being crowned the best footballer in the world in the past one year, the Real Madrid front-man continued his unrivaled form by scoring the opener against Osasuna in their 2-0 win.
It was his 30th goal of the 2013-14 season from 25 appearances. Besides his impressive club form, Cristiano also helped his country booked a place in the this year`s World Cup finals. In the all important play-off against Sweden, he scored four goals, two each in either leg.
With the win, Los Blancos have reached the quarter-finals of the King`s Cup, well on course for yet another title. Despite playing away and with 10 men, the capital club managed to returned home with a 4-0 aggregate score. The win augurs well for the club – seeking trophies under their new coach Carlo Ancelotti.
However, the real take-away from the match was CR7`s performance which rode onto a never to be compromised attitude from their best player. The Portuguese could have easily chosen to take a break after that emotionally draining trip to Zurich. But with an insatiable hunger for goals, he took the field at El Sadar and helped his team win.
Despite his previous indifference towards the FIFA approved Ballon d`Or award and the accompanying gala, Cristiano showed his human side when he received the trophy from Pele in front of his eternal rival, Lionel Messi and first time finalist, Franck Ribery.
Often perceived and projected as a haughty, mega-rich player; the former Manchester United player failed the measure the moment and found himself overawed by the occasion. Many in the football circles interpret the moment as a true reflection of the 2008 World Player of the Year – a person who cares and loves everything that`s football.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation