Prandelli satisfied with San Marino win
Spain: The Azzurri coach wants his side`s tempo to improve ahead of a World Cup qualifier and the Confederations Cup and praised the attitude of substitute Mario Balotelli.
Cesare Prandelli has declared his satisfaction after Italy beat San Marino 4-0 on Friday, but admitted that improvements are needed ahead of the World Cup qualifier against the Czech Republic and the Confederation Cup.
Goals from Andrea Poli, Alberto Gilardino, Andrea Pirlo and Alberto Aquilani ensured that the Azzurri eased past the minnows, who were never expected to challenge the Euro 2012 finalists.
Prandelli refused to be drawn on which seven players he would be omitting from the 23-man Italy squad that he will take to Brazil in June for the Confederations Cup and merely praised the squad for their application in the friendly victory.
"It was not simple, as when there are no spaces you need to be quick. We had four or five tough days of training and I am satisfied with what I saw," he said.
"We need to improve the tempo when we start moves from the back, but physically we’re in good shape. I cannot name names now, as I wanted to see some players in action and they all deserve to be here, but I have to make choices.
"I am happy that all these lads respond well whenever they are called upon and have the right approach to representing their country."
Prandelli praised the performance of Mario Balotelli, who was brought off the bench in the friendly and hit the crossbar.
"Balotelli really wanted to score and I liked his attitude," he added. "He must always step on to the field to do well.
"Our objective tonight [Friday] was to play against a team that didn’t give us spaces, but we also stayed focused as we never allowed them a counter-attack."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon