Prasanta Banerjee appointed chief coach of Mohun Bagan
Kolkata: Former India international Subrata Bhattacharjee was on Tuesday appointed as the technical director of Mohun Bagan team while veteran midfielder Prasanta Banerjee will be the new chief coach of city soccer giants for the 2011-12 season.
Bhattacharjee has coached Bagan earlier while Banerjee holds an AFC "A" license in coaching besides being a member of the club`s technical committee, club general secretary Anjan Mitra said.
According to the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) guidelines, coaches of the I-League teams have to possess AFC `A` coaching license.
Earlier, former assistant coach of Thai National team and FIFA-recognised coach Steeve Derby, who was acting as chief coach of Mohun Bagan, submitted his resignation to the club authorities after Bagan formed a three-member technical committee comprising Olympian Chuni Goswami, Prasanta Banerjee and Satyajit Chatterjee to look after the affairs of the club`s soccer team.
As a player, Subrata spent his entire career with Mohun Bagan and his first stint as the club coach was in 1995. But that lasted for only six months before he was brought back again in November l999 and continued till 2003.
During this period, Mohun Bagan won many major titles including I-league, Federation Cup, Kolkata League, IFA Shield.
Before joining as technical director, Subrata was associated with the Chirag Viva Kerala club in the same position.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part III
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes?
- When will Indian roads become free from potholes and open manholes? - Part II
- Madhuri Dixit turns singer on reality show
- Tripura Civil Service officer rapes woman in Agartala, now absconding
- Summer health tips: How to stay energetic throughout the day!
- China reacts to PM Modi, says wants 'mutually acceptable solution to issues with India'
- Ravi Shastri accuses Sourav Ganguly of being disrespectful during the interview process