Premier League: Spurs undone by old boys
London: Tottenham Hotspur`s long unbeaten run in the Premier League ended in a pulsating 2-1 loss at Stoke City.
Stoke winger Matthew Etherington scored twice to sink 10-man Spurs at the Britannia Stadium in a match full of controversy.
Third-placed Spurs, who had won six successive league games and not lost one since August, fell behind in the 13th minute when striker Peter Crouch set up fellow former Tottenham player Etherington for a powerful finish.
Crouch appeared to handle the ball in the build-up but Spurs had nothing to complain about when Jon Walters flicked on Ryan Shotton`s long throw and Etherington scooped in at the far post two minutes before the break.
The visitors struck back in the 62nd minute when Stoke midfielder Glenn Whelan tripped Luka Modric in the area and Emmanuel Adebayor converted the penalty, sending goalkeeper Thomas Sorensen the wrong way.
The lively Modric could have levelled with a long-range shot that Sorensen tipped behind and Adebayor put the ball in the net in the 75th minute but was ruled offside when television replays showed he had not been.
Just before that, Younes Kaboul`s goal-bound shot was blocked on the line by Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross`s arm. Kaboul was booked for his protests and eight minutes from time was sent off for a second yellow following a foul on Walters.
Spurs manager Harry Redknapp was not happy with referee Chris Foy.
"A couple of the decisions today were amazing," he told reporters.
"I just watched the video replays -- Adebayor was a yard and a half, maybe two yards, onside. They`ve handled the ball on the line, it`s blatant hand ball, Younes Kaboul got a yellow card for saying to the referee `referee, he hand-balled it`.”
"I wouldn`t want to comment about what I thought about the referee`s performance today. I never come on TV and complain about referees ... but it was disappointing today."
The result kept Tottenham in third place, five points behind Manchester United with a game in hand. Leaders Manchester City, who are two points clear, travel to fifth-placed Chelsea on Monday (2000 GMT). Stoke moved up to eighth.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in